Import Geospatial Data from Shapefile
Various windows in IMSMA allow you to import geospatial data from external source files. These external source files can be either Excel spreadsheets (with a .xls or .xlsx file extension), or shapefiles (with a .shp file extension).
To import geospatial data:
- Click the button.
- The Open window displays.
- From the Open window:
- Navigate to the directory where the file that you would like to import is located.
- Select the file name.
- Click the Open button.
- The geospatial data from the spreadsheet is appended to any existing data in the Points or Polygons table.
|You must follow certain business rules to create and format the source file from which you wish to import data:|
Shapefile Import Business Rules
To import geospatial data from a shapefile, the file must be created according to the following business rules:
- If the selected coordinate reference system at the Point and Polygon/Polyline List window is different from the coordinate reference system specified in the .prj file, the coordinate data will be re-projected to the selected coordinate system specified at the Point and Polygon/Polyline List window.
- If a PointID value is not provided in the shapefile, each coordinate data will be automatically assigned a unique PointID value.
- If a PointID is provided in the shapefile, it must be unique across all coordinate data listed in the Points table and in the Polygon/Polyline Points table on the Point and Polygon/Polyline List window.
- If the coordinate data is a point on a polygon/polyline, a unique PolyID value must be provided.
- The PolyID value must be unique across all polygons/polylines data listed in the Points table and Polygon/Polyline Points table on the Point and Polygon/Polyline List window.